Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
TEL: 21863. FAX: 28649
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced people for the position of Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Police, National Security and Correctional Services which is currently vacant within the Ministry of Police, National Security and Correctional Services. Both women and men from all Provinces are encouraged to apply. .
THE DOCUMENTS THAT ARE REQUIRED
Documents 1: PS Form 1 – Application for Employment- Solomon Islands Public Service, Cover Sheet.
Document 2: Letter of Application.
A standard format – Information Sheet 1 is available from the Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet or from the Public Service
Document 3: Curriculum Vitae (CV).
A standard format – Information Sheet 2: is available from the Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet or from the Public Service
Document 4: Certified copies of your qualifications and work experiences
Note: You do NOT have to provide copies of Medical Report and Police Clearance when you apply, but if you are shortlisted, this will be discussed with you.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE TO SIGN A PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AGREEMENT AFTER ENGAGEMENT.
IF YOU WANT TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS:
(a) About the application and its requirements OR
(b) About responsibilities, duties and conditions of service
Contact Chief Administration Officer, Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
Telephone: 22294 / 21863 Ext. 229
OPTIONS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DEPARTMENT:
|(a) By mail – one (1) copy to
Secretary to Cabinet
Office of the Prime Minister
P.O Box G1
|(b) Or Hand delivered (1) copy to:
Chief Administration Officer
Office of the Prime Minister
- Vacancy Number 283-00001
- Post Title: Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Police, National Security and Correctional Services
- Level: Super Scale 4 (SS4)
- Responsible to: The Hon. Minister & Secretary to Cabinet
- Scope of Duties:
Lead, manage and improve the Ministry of Police, National Security and Correctional Services’ operations while contributing to the development and fulfillment of the vision for the Ministry, the Solomon Islands Public Service and the Solomon Islands Government.
7.0 Key Responsibilities:
- Lead, manage and coordinate Ministry operations, including its finances, administration, staff, systems and processes, for the efficient and effective implementation of planned outputs;
- Be accountable for and provide timely advice on, the development and implementation of policies and programs on behalf of the Minister and Government of the day;
- Collaborate with other Permanent Secretaries and key stakeholders to develop and achieve ministry and whole of government objectives;
- As a member of senior leaders forums, provide leadership in setting and implementing strategic change within the Solomon Islands Public Service;
- Ensure a focus on capacity development, using available resources and advice to improve in a sustainable manner the staff, systems and processes of the Ministry; and
- Promote and uphold the values and principles of the Solomon Islands Public Service Code of Conduct.
8.0 Key Relationships
- Reports to: The Chairman of the Public Service Commission on employment and performance matters and the Secretary to Cabinet on the implementation of government policies and programs
- Coordinates with: The Minister, Cabinet Office, other Permanent Secretaries, relevant national and international stakeholders on matters pertaining to the ministry and the Solomon Islands.
10.0 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Academic: Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or extensive demonstrated experience in a field or fields relevant to the provision of high level advice to Government, the management of a ministry, and the advancement of its policy objectives.
Experiences: At least ten years working experience as a very senior manager in a public office or a comparable or similar organization.
11.0 Selection Criteria:
Within the context of the responsibilities of the position and the ministry being managed:
- Demonstrated ability to strategically manage and coordinate the operations of an organization for the effective delivery of agreed outputs;
- Demonstrated high level leadership skills including the ability to inspire, align and mobilize entire units or organizations to implement change;
- Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with peers and other key internal and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge and understanding of government operations and the work of the ministry including insight into current and possible future policies, practices and trends for the purposes of providing effective and practical strategic policy advice;
- Knowledge of or the ability to obtain knowledge of all relevant legislation, policies and procedures relating to the Ministry, including the Constitution, subordinate legislation and government rules and regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and the core principles of the Solomon Islands Public Service Code of Conduct
Note: Applicants are asked to address each of the above selection criteria in their response to this application.
12.0 Condition of Service
13.0 Closing Date: 1st May 2016